Odometry is the ability to measure the distance one has traveled., or as Wikipedia puts it:
The word odometry is composed from the Greek words odos (meaning "route") and metron (meaning "measure").
Robots typically use a PIDController to perform odometry.
- David Anderson's IMU Odometry page
- Odometry and backlash on the DPRG mailing list
- LS7366 quadrature counter from MicroMouse Online ("everything for line follower robots")
- Improving position tracking of a mobile robot from leJOS News
- Jon Kent's Robotics page and his notes on Odometry (note: a lot of broken links)