What are your goals?#
Here are some of the possible goals related to robot design, hardware, software and research:
- Some possible robot challenges, features, tasks:
- Try out various sensors and modules from Adafruit, Pimoroni, Pollolu, PiBorg, PiJuice, etc.:
- Time of Flight (ToF) laser distance sensors
- infrared sensors (various distance ranges)
- ultrasonic sensors via PiBorg's Ultraborg module
- install Hall-effect motor encoders and write a Python-based PID motor controller
- analog-to-digital converters
- motion detector, to detect humans and cats
- a robot front bumper, modeled after David Anderson's SR04 robot
- motor control via PiBorg's Thunderborg module
- Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) and battery management via PiJuice
- Try out several robotic hardware platforms, for a low-cost, entry-level robot
- OSEPP Tank
- Adafruit CRICKIT for Circuit Playground Express
- Purple Aluminum Chassis for TT Motors - 2WD
- Mini Robot Rover Chassis Kit - 2WD with DC Motors
- Mini Round Robot Chassis Kit - 2WD with DC Motors
- Mini 3-Layer Round Robot Chassis Kit - 2WD with DC Motors
- OSEPP 25mm motors (part of the Tank kit), with encoders
- smaller and larger motors from Pololu, ServoCity, GoBilda, etc.
- yellow plastic motors
- continual-rotation micro servos
- N20, AKA Pololu micro metal gearmotors (many gear ratios available, with or without optical or Hall Effect encoders; available from Pimoroni, Adafruit and others)
- Try out several microprocessor/microcontroller platforms, for a low-cost, entry-level robot
- GPIO information
- pinouts for each Raspberry Pi
- Explore use of I2C bus
- how to display current I2C devices
- list of known I2C devices by address (noting potential conflicts)
What Do You Bring to the Project?#
It's good to consider what a robot designer and builder brings to the table:
- existing hardware and/or software skills
- what skills you want to learn?
- what tools do you currently have? what tools are you willing to purchase?
- are you focused on hardware, software, or both?
- what programming language do you prefer to use for a robot?
- what type of robot do you want to build?
- what scale of robot do you want to build? The bigger the robot the larger the motors, battery, cost, etc.
- what is your projected budget, at least initially?